Friday 30 March 2012

Central argument: Polite terms such as "thank you" or "you're welcome" are starting to disappear from our lives and are replaced with other terms, as people are becoming more casual and maybe even rude.

The terms we use did change over time. It's always been changing. The terms I used over the mere 17 years of my life changed immensely. As some famous saying said, "The only constant in this world is change," or something of that context.

That is very true. We humans always change. The trend will never stay the same. New concepts or ideas will be introduced, and some of them will become viral, changing our way of living.

Same with what we say. Words such as "dope" referred to drugs. But now, somehow, it has changed its meaning to be "cool." Who, in the 20th century, would have ever even imagined that the word "sick" would be transformed to mean something like "cool," or "nice." That doesn't even make any sense. And now we use "damn" as "very," and it's not even a swear word anymore. We say it in front of the teachers.

However, just because what we say changes, doesn't mean what we mean changes too. We use words according to their meanings, and no matter how rude it might seem to uncreative and grumpy adults, if it means the same thing then I don't think there is any harm in it. These old men be flipping 'bout it, but we ain't care cuz we still be dope! As I said, if it means the same, there shouldn't be a problem. It's like "fuck." The word itself doesn't hold any value. It's the fact that humans have decided to give it a bad meaning that made it bad-ass. The meaning is important. Therefore if we say "damn" with the meaning of "very," we won't get in trouble even if we are with the principal. However, if we use it as damn "damn," as in "damn it," the situation might differ. So if we say "what up, dawg~" instead of "how are you, my friend," but still mean the same thing, then it is the same thin! No being rude or rebellious or anything like that. Adults gotta chill out in life and realize the world is changing. (Gasp! Really?) I believe it's about time we use our ghetto-child language with adults too now. Lol. I'm just joking, that was a bit too far. Anyways, I'm just saying that we should tolerate the seemingly-rude-but-meaning-the-same terms. And I'm not saying we should tolerate the seemingly-rude-and-meaning-the-rude terms. We should place consequences on those hipster wannabe immature kids who dare try to be playing with old men. No one messes with age. No one f*** around with the "experienced." However, I believe the world is not as bad as to have all these people using the new, modern, reformed terms  to be rude. So I hope everyone just cope with it and live with it. Peace (lol). [I don't really talk like this, I don't want to, and I wouldn't like to. I just do this for the sake of my own entertainment of making fun of the "cool guys" that actually think it's cool to talk like this. Just so you know I'm not a psychopathic weirdilistic creep. (:]

Basically, I'm kinda agreeing with only the last paragraph of the article. "What won't change ... is the importance of acknowledging appreciation expressed." The meaning is important, not the (physical seemingageof the) words. "... if the appreciation is expressed in a genuine manner, I do not see it as a loss of courtesy." True that. If we mean it, even though our words might sound bit more shallow or rude, it should be fine.
The only conflict is, will others be cool enough to understand that we mean the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment