Saturday 24 March 2012

The rise of "Awesome" (An advanced apology for the last paragraph. Ran out of materials to write because my point is simple and short and strong unlike these newb writers'. I couldn't extend my point any further.)

Central Argument: The meaning of the word "awesome," along with many other words, has deteriorated because of its over-usage and undermination of its value.

Awesome has certainly demoted. Just because it sounds better, even though they probably realize that it means more than "good" or "nice," people replace their shallow compliments with this word. They know it's worth more, but just use it where it means less than it means because it's fun to say it. It's also easy to say unlike "great" or "fantastic," where there are the "r"s and "f"s that Asians have difficulty pronouncing. (Well, not me.)

The author is right. People now use awesome for anything they find merely "good." They use "awesome" instead of any other vocabularies that stand for something acceptable. People mistake themselves to be cool if they use this word, which they were until it was so over-dosed and abused. Wannabes spoiled it.

"Awe" along with "some" would literally mean something that's worth to be awed at. "Awe" is defined as an emotion that combines dread, veneration, and wonder that is inspired by authority or by the sacred or sublime (Merriam-Webster dictionary). It is about at the level of the terms, "shock," "mind-blowing," etc. So awesome would be an adjective most probably only suitable for God, like how the article's examples of the Bible suggest. However, now it doesn't even reach the depth in meaning of "amazing" or "fantastic." "Awesome" has just become a casual replacement for "good," "fair," or "nice." 

Awesome is said and written everywhere. It is too common now. It is indeed a "worn-out phrase." And due to the lightness people use it with and their lack of responsibility and respect for this word, it has degraded to a common vocab. 

"Hey, we can go to chardukan today." 
"Awesome!"

No, of course being able to go to chardukan is not something that is "awe-some." You don't awe at the 'majestic grace' of the opportunity to have a 'luxurious five-star dinner' at the 'monumental, four beautifully furnished' shops. What the heck is wrong with you?


But I'm not necessarily saying I don't do that...
Well, it's not my fault for using awesome so casually like other people. The society mind-controlled me. They influenced me. Everyone used it so lightly, so I gave it a try too. And it felt beautiful. It was addictive like tapping someone on the back and acting like I didn't do it, or standing right behind someone without them realizing and singing "I'm a creep" by Radiohead to creep them out, or orange juice. So now I became one of the most "awesome"-using person in the entire globe. But this article reminded me, reached my heart, and convinced me about the destruction of the importance of this awe-some word. I was awestruck by the actual definition of "awesome" which I never thought of thinking about before I came across this article. And now I repent and agree with the author. Now I'll stand for the rights of "awesome." It did lose its meaning and I'm going to change it back. I'll make a change. I'm a seed of change. People, let us stop abusing "awesome" and start protecting its awesomeness. Let's be awed at the word "awesome." Is it too late? No, it's never too late. We can make this world a better place. (Sorry, I went a bit too far. I was getting over-emotional. I really want to save this poor little vocaby by reaching out to it and respecting its adorableness.)

No comments:

Post a Comment