Sunday 18 December 2011

Challenge 31

56. Discuss how your travel experiences have affected you as a student and a citizen of the world.

I wish I had that many travel experiences to have thoughtfully chosen from but, unfortunately, I haven't. I came to India after finishing fourth grade. This first travel was to where I turned out to have settled. And the country of "mystery" ended up to be underdeveloped, stinky, filthy, and - no offense to anyone - just unacceptably hopeless. The hottest area I have ever lived in, the most beggars I have ever seen, the stupidest and cockiest people I have ever met, and the most bullshit (both figuratively and literally) I have ever faced were all achieved in this one crap-hole in an amazingly short time-span.

However, now, I love this place. And I'm not saying this to avoid trouble. It's an honest feeling right from the bottom of my heart. I actually love it. I feel much home observing cows completely ravage the already crazy traffic, boys and girls beg or sell cheap magazines in the middle of the road, bright yellow and green auto-rickshaws powerlessly cough out CNG gas, buses near wreckage painfully make their last sprint with black heads, arms, and legs dangling out, people drink tea, dogs, scooters, and fruit juice stands with pictures of Bollywood stars (if that's a way to attract customers) on the signboard.  

I went to Korea last winter and I was lost. Lost like a tourist in a country he has never been to before. It was a totally different country from when I last went there. It was so strange to me. I was actually happy to spot a few foreigners in the subways. I think, I hated being one of the crowd. I hated being so ignored. No one looked at me with the surprised eyes. No one teased me for being a chinky. No one even looked at me at all. It's funny, I know, but I hated it. Busy people, systemic traffic, high buildings, snow, extremely cold wind - all were strange and not very nice. I needed that chilled out spirit, the who-cares traffic, anywhere-littering, shit-smell, tea, no-more-than-two-story buildings, and many more.

Basically, this travel experience changed me to become a whole new person. And I realized, it's not all about the developed cities, tall glass buildings, smooth and wide roads, sleek cars. I, of course, learned my English and Hindi in India. This permanent travel to India affected my whole life. And as a citizen of the world, now you have one more Indian.

1 comment: